Injury to the body is caused when one part of the body moves too quickly in relation to another part of the body. In whiplash, the head and torso are moving in different directions, resulting in damage to the tissues of the neck.
The neck is a very complex structure, though, and there are many important nerves and blood vessels that travel through the neck to other parts of the body. Damage to these tissues can cause a complex set of symptoms that can be difficult to diagnose. In addition, other parts of the body–such as the shoulder and lower back–can be subjected to dramatic forces, as well. This can result in pain in different parts of the body.
ARM OR SHOULDER PAIN
LOW BACK PAIN
TMJ OR JAW PAIN
DIZZINESS OR VERTIGO
BRAIN INJURY AFTER WHIPLASH
THORACIC OUTLET SYNDROME
PHYCHOLOGICAL SYMPTOMS OF WHIPLASH
What should I do when an auto accident happens?
If you are the driver:
1. Stop your vehicle and get help for the injured.
2. If there are injuries or substantial property damage, ask someone to call the police or RCMP.
3. Provide police with the information they require. Ask the investigating officer where to obtain a copy of the police report. You will probably need it.
4. Take notes, keep a pad and pencil in your glove compartment. Write down the following items:
- Names, addresses and phone numbers of all drivers and passengers involved in the accident
- Vehicle license number, make and model of each vehicle involved
- Operator’s drivers license number and insurance identification number
- Names and addresses of as many witnesses as possible
- Names and badge numbers of police officers
5. Record the details of the accident while they are fresh in your memory. Draw a diagram to recreate the scene. We recommend that you carry a small disposal camera in your car and photograph the accident scene.
6. Call your insurance to report a claim. Write down your claim numbers for record. Call Dr. Phan for medical advice.
If you are the passenger:
1. If you are injured, get prompt medical attention.
2. Collect all your belongings from the damaged vehicle.
3. Get the name, address and phone number of the driver and his/her insurance company.
4. Save all medical bills and receipts.