WHAT ARE ORTHOTICS?
Orthotics are customized insoles worn in any type of shoe and they correct the way a patient walks. If a patient is walking incorrectly, their entire body can be out of alignment causing all types of problems including foot, ankle, leg, hip, and lower back pain. A 5-minute gait and pressure analysis test will tell you if you are a candidate for orthotics. Orthotics are covered by most insurance plans because insurance companies know the value of orthotic therapy in the prevention and treatment of many conditions that can lead to short-term or even long-term disability claims.
Foot problems may contribute to stress or pain in other parts of your body, even if your feet don’t.
WHAT IS PRONATION SYNDROME (FLAT ARCHES)?
Pronation Syndrome is considered the most common foot problem. In pronation, some of the bones of the foot drop to a less stable position because the foot arches are too weak to keep them in proper alignment. The arches themselves may be unnaturally stretched (“flat feet”) and stress on the entire foot increases.
Pronated feet often “flare outward” during standing or movement; the Achilles tendons and kneecaps may be rotated inward from the midline of the legs; and shoes may have heel wear on the outside and look “run over”. Over time, this imbalance can cause stress or pain in the knees, hips, pelvis, low back, or neck. What’s especially interesting is that the affected foot itself may not hurt at all, even though it can be the principal cause of stress or pain somewhere else in the body.
DO YOU NEED ORTHOTICS?
Take this self test to see if you need custom-made orthotics.
1. Do you have obvious foot problems (bunions, corns, flat feet, etc.)
2. Do you have pain while standing, walking or running?
3. Have you had a prior injury to your foot or ankle, knee, back or neck?
4. Is one of your legs shorter than the other?
5. Do you stand or walk on hard surfaces for more than 4 hours daily?
6. Do your feet “toe out” when you’re walking?
7. Do your shoe heels wear unevenly?
8. Do you have knock knees or bow legs?
9. Do you participate regularly in any physical sport (basketball, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, etc.)?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, custom-made orthotics may help you!